Covid-19: Supportive resources for effective teamworking
At AOD, we want to continue our support to you and your teams while respecting the pressures on your time. This page will be updated regularly with helpful resources about effective teamworking during the pandemic. The inclusion of external hyperlinks does not constitute an endorsement.
Building teams quickly
- DOCUMENT: Effective Teamworking during the Covid-19 crisis – key principles around teamworking in a crisis from AOD/ Professor Michael West.
- VIDEO: Effective Teamworking during the Covid-19 crisis – Professor Michael West explains the key principles outlined in the document above.
- POSTCARD: AOD Effective Teamworking Covid-19 – postcard format – easy-to-share version of the key principles outlined in the document above.
- VIDEO: How to turn a group of strangers into a team | Amy Edmondson – Professor Amy Edmondson on “teaming,” where people come together quickly to solve new, urgent or unusual problems.
- BLOG: A very brief introduction to teaming – The King’s Fund
- ARTICLE: How to Foster Psychological Safety in Virtual Meetings – Amy Edmondson via Harvard Business Review NEW
- DOCUMENT: AOD Creating the right team climate – AOD asks Professor Michael West for his take on how to support one another at work.
- DOCUMENT: AOD Team check-ins and check-outs – AOD’s Dr Claire Harris and Michele White on the right questions to ask within your team.
- ARTICLE: The psychological needs of healthcare staff as a result of the Coronavirus pandemic – from the British Psychological Society Covid19 Staff Wellbeing Group
- GRAPHIC: How to create psychological safety in a crisis – some examples of what to say.
- ARTICLE: Amy Edmondson on the power of psychological safety in distributed work – at a time when our models of the world change by the hour, the learning capacity of teams is the difference between adaptation and paralysis.
Teamwork in critical situations
- RESEARCH: Team resilience: How teams flourish under pressure – G.M. Alliger et al
- DOCUMENT: Team working in rapidly changing environments – NHS Education for Scotland (NES)
- RESEARCH: Teamwork in the intensive care unit – American Psychological Association 2018.
- RESEARCH: Extreme Teams: Toward a Greater Understanding of Multiagency Teamwork During Major Emergencies and Disasters – American Psychological Association 2018.
- ARTICLE: Leading Teams in Crisis Situations From Chaos to Extraordinary Performance by Erika Hayes James and Lynn Perry Wooten
Teamworking remotely and teams at home
- BLOG: What virtual working means for teams – Lee Robertson via AoEC
- ARTICLE: Five behavioural science lessons for managing virtual team meetings – research-based insights from LSE
- ARTICLE: How to Keep Your Team Motivated, Remotely – research showing employees who are empowered to experiment are more motivated.
- ARTICLE: Build Your Team’s Resilience – From Home – research piece focused on people and perspective, by Professors David Sluss and Edward Powley via Harvard Business Review.
- ARTICLE: Can OD support families in lockdown during Covid-19? – OD insights for the family/household from Mee Yan Cheung Judge
- BLOG: Managing the challenges of supporting health and wellbeing when working from home – from our colleagues at Skills for Care.
- ARTICLE: A Guide to Managing Your (Newly) Remote Workers – via Harvard Business Review.
- AOD GRAPHIC: Teamworking at home – for those thrown together and often in close quarters at home.
- ARTICLE: The future of remote work – including ‘Connecting remote teams’ via American Psychological Association.
Example OD work during the crisis
- ARTICLE: Why the pandemic has been OD’s time to shine via People Management
- EAST & NORTH HERTFORDSHIRE NHS TRUST: ‘How are you doing?’
- GUY’S AND ST THOMAS’: Wellbeing Offer
- BARKING, HAVERING and REDBRIDGE UH NHS Trust: Onsite team support
- HSC LEADERSHIP CENTRE: 5 steps to leadership webinar series
- ARTICLE: AOD – How Covid-19 is changing our perception of organisational performance – New measures of success for healthcare in Scotland, July 2020
- RESOURCES: National Wellbeing Hub – for people working in health and social care (Scotland)
- WEBINARS: NHS Horizons – #Caring4NHSPeople
- RESOURCES: British Psychological Society
- RESOURCES: AQuA Knowledge Xchange